Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Things I Should Have Learned In College: Part 1

You know, after graduating from college you would think that there would be things about being an adult that you were prepared for. The longer I am out of college and an early twenty-something, the more I think "HOW DID NO ONE TEACH ME THIS IS COLLEGE????" Don't get me wrong, I loved college, I was all about some Western Kentucky University, Go Tops! (We are headed to the tourney!!)


Lovin' WKU or not, when I try to do something like oh... getting a money order I again think..."HOW DID NO ONE TEACH ME THIS IN COLLEGE??". Let me fill you in.

Our first rent payment was to be delivered to our landlord in the form of a money order. I can do this, it's simple right? Josh and I had just opened a new bank account and all I had was a temporary check. It's a check, it's money right? Thanks. That's what I thought too. So I google "where do you get a money order?" like any stubborn third child would do and happily find the answer to be, the post office. So my temporary check and I head our happy little butts right on over to the post office. Now, I'm from a small town and people in small town post offices have always been very friendly to me. I walked up to the window, 

"Hi!" I said cheerfully, "I just moved into a new apartment and my first rent payment has to be a money order. So, I am here to get one for X amount of dollars." 

The lady looked at me like, "Gee thanks for the story when you could have said 'I need a money order'". She rung me up, got it ready and I was feeling very proud of myself for not having to call on any parents or older siblings to assist me in this task. Just about that time I whip out my handy temporary check. 

The lady looks at me again, like she was almost in disbelief at my stupidity and says "Are you planning to get a money order by writing a temporary check?". I immediately wanted to say "Of course not!" and run away, but I decided that was my story and I was sticking' to it. 

"Yes." 

"That won't work, come back when you can pay for the order." 

And that my friends something I wish I had not learned the hard way. As I took the walk of shame out of the post office I could swear I heard my Dad say "here's your sign." Thanks Dad, Love ya. 

I love growing up, but sometimes that sign would be awfully handy. 




1 comments:

Alice said...

Haha! Love that story. I'm happy that we get to have eachother for this clueless season of life! love you!

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs